Re: Virtual and Real Images

Howdy-

From: John Clement [mailto:clement@HAL-PC.ORG]
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2002 12:01 PM

Part of the problem is that the light can not be "seen" as it travels.

This can, to some extent, be remedied.

I take two point light sources, vertically separated by about a foot, and
gel them red and green. I cut a hole in a large project board and put a
large converging lens in the hole. Like so

red light --> /\
| |
| | water sprayed here
| |
green light --> \/

After extinguishing the overhead lights, I illuminate the point sources.
Then I spray water from a fine mister on the other side of the lens. The
cones of light can be clearly seen coming together at a focus and then
spreading out again. Further, the cones are colored red and green so that it
is obvious that top and bottom are flipped.

You can see a better description of this and two other optics related labs
(one like the one suggested by Robert Cohen) at my web site. If the
information is too cryptic, I can expand. I demonstrated the first one in
Philadelphia.

<http://home.mindspring.com/~kossover/>

Marc "Zeke" Kossover