Re: Virtual and Real Images

On Tuesday, March 19, 2002 11:49 AM, Rick Tarara wrote:

Let me suggest that the first thing you should do in
geometrical optics, is
a ray-tracing experiment.

and then 41 minutes later wrote:

We have a great demo (fairly standard) based on this. A
black box about .5
m on edge, with a light socket on top. The actual bulb
(orange 'flame'
type) is mounted upside down inside the box. The back of the
box is open.
A concave mirror (actually a great old one on brass stand
with wooden frame)
is positioned behind to form a real image (now upright) just
at the position
of the empty socket. Alignment is critical. I place this at
the back of
the lab. As student enter the front door, I ask them to go
back and unscrew
the bulb for me. They get about half way to the box before the image
suddenly disappears on them. Because they are viewing a real
image it is
incredibly life-like. Good fun.

Why not have the students explore the demo first? You can then use the
experiment to "explain" it.

Robert Cohen; rcohen@po-box.esu.edu; http://www.esu.edu/~bbq
Physics, East Stroudsburg Univ., E. Stroudsburg, PA 18301