Re: Virtual and Real Images

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hugh Haskell" <hhaskell@MINDSPRING.COM>

As I think about it, I recall that it is possible to create a real
image in a concave mirror, but because of the geometry, it is
difficult to display the image.

We have a great demo (fairly standard) based on this. A black box about .5
m on edge, with a light socket on top. The actual bulb (orange 'flame'
type) is mounted upside down inside the box. The back of the box is open.
A concave mirror (actually a great old one on brass stand with wooden frame)
is positioned behind to form a real image (now upright) just at the position
of the empty socket. Alignment is critical. I place this at the back of
the lab. As student enter the front door, I ask them to go back and unscrew
the bulb for me. They get about half way to the box before the image
suddenly disappears on them. Because they are viewing a real image it is
incredibly life-like. Good fun.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE
PC and MAC software
NEW! SIMLAB2001--AIR TABLE now available.
CD-ROMs now available