Cosmologists throw-in the conceptual towel? (was "Open universe?")

Will no one defend the cosmologists?

On 3/17/02, Tucker Hiatt wrote:
If my difficulties in envisioning modern cosmology are typical of
well-informed layfolk, then cosmologists are not doing a good job of
popularizing their efforts. I am referring to the poverty of
*conceptual* cosmological models. Perhaps the mathematical models
are beautiful, but if such models do not translate into mental
images, then cosmologists ought to say so bluntly.

Forgive the self-reference above, but trying to form a mental image
of the big bang seems mighty important to me. Please let me ask one
more time:

HOW ARE WE TO ENVISION THE BIG BANG IN AN OPEN (i.e., INFINTE) UNIVERSE?

Thanks for your patience,

- Tucker Hiatt