Re: dams and electricity

This is a marvelous example of how economics plays a key role in most
energy decisions. You are absolutely correct, there is a net energy
loss, but given the cost of capitol to construct a plant, it may be
cheaper to build the pumps to run in the off peak periods, so that you
can shave peak demand. Whether to do it is a complex question, as has
been pointed out.

I really hate to think of the bean counters having the upper hand, but
in this case they do.

cheers,

joe