Coefficient of Friction

In measurement of coefficient of friction on an inclined plane, the
equation for the coefficients of both static and kinetic friction have
the same form, that is, (mu) = tan A, where A is the angle of incline.
Now, theoretically, this mu can have a value anywhere from 0 to
infinity, but it hardly exceeds 1. I saw only one value that was greater
than 1 in the table of coefficients. So, I imagine it is the physical
properties of matter that set this limit. I guess my question is: What
sets this limit? Thank you in advance.
- Abby