Re: Flat conductors

mmf = R* phi (magneto motive force = reluctance * flux)

mmf = ni (Ampère turns) or line integral (Hdot dl); reluctance = l /
(mumu sub zero* A) etc. etc.

pp. 406 (Magnetic circuits) Harnwell

bc

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Brian Whatcott wrote:

I WAS equating the phrase "electric permeability" to electrical
conductivity (sigma=1/rho).

1) I am confused because I would not know how to interpret
a sentence such as "the permeability of material X is equal
to its electric conductivity." These are two different quantities.

2) I do not know why I typed "electric" instead of "magnetic."
But that has nothing to do with my confusion; all magnetic
quantities are electric.

3) I do recall the concept of magnetic resistance; it is used in
the analysis of magnetic circuits. Are you saying that to
calculate a magnetic resistance mu is used exactly the same
way as sigma is used to calculate a resistance. I do not have a
reference to check this but I guess that what you had in mind.
Right? Large mu is like large conductivity but the two quantities
can not be compared. "Equating the phrase" is not the same
thing as "equating the values" of mu and sigma. Sorry for
being picky; I want to explain what confused me.

4) I have a new set of equipotential lines to share. But this
deserves a separate message.
Ludwik Kowalski