Re: Weight of compressed air.

Browsing the web accessible materials on Van der Waals equation, I was
amused to come across this message from MSU (in cached HTML format) - a
message to live by.

<http://google.com/search?q=cache:0Xi2guUJ7OgC:www.egr.msu.edu/~lira/errata/pg218.pdf+Van+der+Waals+equation&hl=en>

"The fact that the van der Waals equation still provides the basis of
modern engineering equations of state is a testimonial to the utility of
simple physical reasoning in engineering analysis. With a little effort,
you can learn from van der Waals' example."

At 03:42 AM 3/8/02, Ludwik wrote:
Shawn Knudsen wrote:

> Quick question for everyone out there. I am looking for the weight of air
> in a container that is pressurized to 80 psi. The container is a cylinder
> that is 1 foot in length and 9 inches in diameter. I am not concerned
about
> the weight of the container itself. How well does Boyle's Law hold for
air?

The Van der Waals equation constants for nitrogen are a=0.14
and b=39.1 of SI units. Compare what that equation gives you
with what Boyle's equation gives at different pressures to get
the answer. Air probably behaves like pure nitrogen, in the
first approximation. As you probably know, a and b are
empirical constants describing real gases.
Ludwik Kowalski

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!