Re: Thermal Energy - thermalization of rotational energy

The only thing I'm missing is an answer to my follow up question
which was, "If you do not consider bulk rotational kinetic energy
and large amplitude macroscopic system vibrations to be 'internal
energy' (and I think you are saying that you don't), would you
consistently put them in the same category as bulk translational
kinetic energy or would you sometimes put them in some third
category?"

Well, John, firstly I would normally think of large amplitude macroscopic
system vibrational motion as essentially translational.

And secondly I would not put "bulk rotational kinetic energy and large
amplitude macroscopic system vibrations" _anywhere_ in a thermo problem --
they just don't obtain in my thermo world.

Now finally would someone please tell me what is meant by "thermal energy"
and "thermalize"

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen