Flat conductors manufacture, etc.

(Supplier before 1995; after?)

bc

Bernard:

I see you are another victim of Saturday work!

Thanks for the info on Pasco - I will look them up. We do not supply
Pasco
directly and in fact are not even aware that they use our paper. We do
not
retail but always sell through other companies that convert our products
or
sell them as is. We do have several conductive papers that we make to
order
which we can sample you (please write with your address).

A BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF PAPERMAKING:
Our carbon papers are made on what is called a Fourdrinier paper machine

(yes, invented several centuries ago by a Frenchman). We buy wood pulp
that
is usually made at a Canadian pulp mill (finer fibers than southern US
for
better strength and more uniform appearance). This fiber, received in
dry
form, is dispersed in a "pulper" which is like a large blender. Pulp
solids
at this point are about 5%. Chemicals and carbon black are added in the
pulper. The resulting "thick stock" is lightly ground up in "refiners"
and
then sent to the paper machine, where it is diluted to 0.5 to 1.0%
solids.

This 'thin stock" enters a headbox which mixes and spreads the stock out

onto a continuous moving screen which allows the water to pass through,
leaving a wet mat on the surface. The resulting continuous web (~20%
solids) then is pulled off the screen and enters a "wet press" made up
of
two rolls and a "felt" on at least one side to absorb the water that is
squeezed out. The continuous web (~40% solids) then passes into the
dryer
section where it winds around many steam heated dryer "cans" which dry
the
paper down to ~5% moisture (95% solids).

A coating is sometimes applied to the surface of the paper for strength
or
to provide holdout to subsequent treatments.

Jim Farrand