Re: Closing the Achievement Gap

One article that has some bearing on the problem can be found at
http://epaa.asu.edu/epaa/v10n12
Essentially they found that schools do matter, and that certain practices
yield better results. It also shows that SES has a large impact.

The link between standards and achievement is not as well established. The
analysis at http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~ctreduc/Research.html , the paper by
Linda McNeil on the harmful impact of the TAAS shows that the current TX
state system of high stakes testing reduces the education for disadvantaged
students.

The problem of having unqualified teachers will not be solved by stricter
standards. As TX has cracked down on certification of unqualified teachers
the pool of certified math teachers has been shrinking. The net result is
that more teachers are being certified off the street. If the stricter
certification standards were accompanied by a large increase in salaries you
might have an increase. Since the TN study
http://www.futureofchildren.org/usr_doc/vol5no2ART8.pdf showed that class
size has a large effect one must consider this in addition to
qualifications. Higher standards can have the unfortunate effect of
reducing the qualification of teachers and/or increasing class size. The
net result can actually reduce achievement.

Higher standards often mean piling more material on the students regardless
of their ability to absorb it. I do not know the solution to the reading
problem in lower grades, but I do know that it is possible to raise thinking
levels and understanding of science concepts by using well constructed
curricula based on the learning cycle. This has been amply demonstrated by
Shayer&Adey, Anton Lawson, and many PER researchers.

As with any social problem, just attacking it from one angle will often
cause other problems to appear which may be worse than the original one.
The call for higher standards has often been a codeword for punishing
teachers and administrators who fail to perform. Since most teachers are
already doing everything they know how to do, punishment will not improve
the situation.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I'd want the statistics from fully integrated schools of different
social/economic status. I'd also want to hear (I do hear since my wife
teaches in such a school) from a good cross section of these teachers who
are indicated to be the problem. When the average reading level for 8th
graders in a middle income, fully integrated school is at the 4th grade
level, I am not going to be too quick to believe this is because the
students haven't been challenged. The report has a strong 'political
philosophy' tone to my reading.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE
NEW: Photo Realistic Laboratory Simulations