Re: software is a form of speech (and a link to a free program)

On 1 Mar 2002 at 8:49, John S. Denker wrote:

Philosophical / pedagogical points:

Twice this morning I've suggested that people
learn by reading the software (spreadsheet
formulas) that I've posted on the web.

<snip>

I have never seen anybody learn to program decently
just by reading books about programming. You learn
a lot by reading other people's code.

=================

Bottom line: when I wrote the Laplace-equation solver
spreadsheets, I didn't just post a web page that
talked _about_ the spreadsheets... I posted the
spreadsheets, too. I posted them for a reason.

Use the Source, Luke.

I like this allusion.

My 2c worth.
In a former life when I was tutoring students for a computer competition (in actual fact
they were better than me, they just didn't know what I did, and they usually went too
fast for quality's sake) I set up my problems as a series of very simple programs and
then students developed and improved them.

Spreadsheets are close to ideal for this. Provide the bare bones of what is possibly
going to be useful and then let the students go for it. They can adapt and modify
freely. I put a hidden thing in them to help avoid plagiarism and copying from year to
year.

On this point I have NEVER had an application that suits me to manage course
marks. There is a free spreadsheet on this site: http://www.efofex.com/ used to
handle marks. I have NOT looked at it, but I have learned a lot about what I know
about spreadsheets in tinkering with the code of others. (If spreadsheet formulas are
code :-) )

But having made one post pointing out some s/w associated with a certain immoral
monopoly there is a freeware package on the same site as above: FXDraw 1. (which
sold commercially for 6 years until 2001. This is a GREAT DEAL.

And a final point about coding. Most people waste hours in their coding. Lack of
planning, forsight and pencil and paper work. Lack of consistency in variable naming.
lack of structure. The number of programs I have seen that use xxxNum and xxxNo
and xxxNumber as variable names inconsistently. The best book I have read (which
is quite large, but individual chapters very readable) is "Code Complete" on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556154844/qid=1015028888/sr=2-
1/ref=sr_2_1/102-9932286-8644939

Will this URL work?
In this country, many people highly value physics graduates as financial analysts and
programmers. Our physics courses should teach students how to think and solve
problems. S/w is an an evironment and a language ideal for this.

Derek Chirnside