Re: New classroom

I have a combined chem/physics classroom/lab, also. I have 6 hexagon
lab tables that have two "stations" - each. Each table has a central
sink, two faucets and two pairs of gas jets. There are holes for metal
supports - but these are too thick for the chem lab apparatus.

This arrangement is fairly easy to supervise, and OK for chemistry. You
just need to arrange the groups carefully so you can see the students
your REALLY need to see.

The biggest problem is that the tables have a raised edge so spills
won't reach the floor. It is good for chemistry, but lousy for physics.
You can't roll a ball off of them without it hopping over the edge, and
there is no long counter to drag a block on for friction labs. I don't
have a demo bench and I end up cluttering at least one lab table with
"my things".

It is not a good arrangement for physics.

Good luck with your project!

Kim Palermo

"Dwight K. Souder" wrote:

Greetings everyone. I was recently told by our school's principal that
next week there will be a building meeting. Our school recently passed a
levy that will allow for additions to be made onto our school. Luckily,
I'll be getting a new and larger classroom. My principal would like for
me to come up with some ideas as to the layout of the room. Before I
present my ideas, I'd like to know what works and doesn't work in your
classroom. Here are some things to consider, my new room will be 1187
square feet (I'm not sure of the exact dimensions). I teach high school
chemistry and physics. My current room has 6 perimeter lab tables (along
the side and back wall)and 24 individual desks, and a long demo
table/desk in the front of the classroom. I don't remember the size of
my current room, but it is quite cramped. I don't care for having the
perimeter lab tables, but because during labs, it is difficult to
circulate around with all of the individual desks in the way. I also
think it can be hazardous to have the lab tables so close to the
individual desks. The advantage of the individual desks is if I'm doing
a demo/lab for physics, it does give the students a little freedom to
move their desks around and open up a large area.

I have looked in both the Frey and Flinn Scientific catalogs and came
across something a little unique. They had the pentagon shaped
lab/student desk tables. I could see potentially that could make a nice
room for teaching chemistry, but I question what it would be like for my
physics classes. The advantage is that it appears to take up less space
and it would elliminate the individual student desks. The draw backs I
can see is that I can't move the lab tables, if one class is doing a lab
that takes a few days and another class comes in that is doing something
different...they may be distracted and possible harm to themselves or
interferring with someone elses work, space for students doing homework
or taking tests, and storage space.

Can anyone give me any advice. What are some of your experiences? Any
advice or suggestions will be most greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dwight Souder
Crestview HS
Ashland, OH