Re: Truck stopping distances?

Our university debate team coach advises his students driving a 15
passenger van to hit a deer in the road rather than to swerve (which
would likely roll the van over). His advice came to reality a few
weeks ago, but he had to use it himself. He was at the wheel doing
70 mph at around 2 AM with part of the team in the van and the
rest in a car following close behind. Whe he spotted he deer, he
resisted turning the wheel to avoid the deer. He also realized that
he couldn't slam on the brakes because the car behind would run
into the back of the van. Also, if he did swerve, the car behind
wouldn't know there was a deer and would have struck it, making
for a much worse accident. Fortunately, no humans were injured,
but the deer did not survive.