Re: The relaxation method

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:
I was not able to figure out how to deal with marginal cells
from looking at what was posted by JohnD. He shows the
algorithm for the inner cells which have four neighbors but
not for the cells with three or two neighbors. The answer is
probably hidden in this:

Thirdly, just outside the edge of the universe, there
is another layer of cells. These implement what I call
the boundary condition for the universe itself. ..."

That is where I am confused. Suppose I do create a layer of
cells adjacent to the Pasco sheet area. These are artificial
neighbors of marginal cells. What should I do with them?

You should use them to impose periodic boundary
conditions. Do you know what that means?

How should I relax marginal cells?

You shouldn't. You should use them to impose periodic
boundary conditions.

Please be as specific as
possible; I am not very good in turning general principle,
such conservation of Q or energy, into practical formulas.

I hear the request, but I'm going to turn it down
at least for today. Please give it the old college
try. See if you can figure it out for yourself.

1) Write down the definition of "periodic". Stare at
it for a while. See if that doesn't give you !!some!!
kind of an idea for an algorithm, and equation, a
really, really, really simple algorithm for calculating
the potential in neighboring copies of the universe,
given the potential in the main copy the universe.

2) Try clicking on one of the cells in question in my
spreadsheets (just outside adjacent to the main
universe) and see if you can reverse-engineer it.

3) If you really, really can't figure it out, ask
again. Explain how you tried to figure it out and
why it didn't work.

==========================

Last year I did not have this problem; I simply imposed
a constant zero potential on every marginal cell. Margins
were far away from the region in which I was interested;
they were the boundary of the universe. But I do not want
to impose any apriori potentials on marginal cells; I want to
learn what actually happens at marginal cells, according to
the relaxation algorithm. The only things I want to impose
are, for example, -15 V and +15 V at the inner cells
representing silver-painted circles. Am I asking too much?

This is certainly not asking too much.
Fixing the potential _only_ at the inner electrodes
is a good idea. There is no reason for not doing
it. There are excellent reasons (pedagogical and
otherwise) for doing it:
-- For starters, it results in a solution that is
gauge-invariant. Obviously a Good Thing (tm).
-- It correctly represents the experiment as done
on real resistor paper. Again a Good Thing (tm).