Re: FW: Bicycle Physics

Other major references on two-wheeled vehicle physics:

Hand, Richard S., "Comparisons and Stability Analysis of Linearized
Equations of Motion for a Basic Bicycle Model," M.S. Thesis, Cornell
University, 1988.

Weir, David H., "Motorcycle Handling Dynamics and Rider Control and the
Effect of Design Configuration on Response and Performance," Ph.D.
Dissertation, University of California, Los Angeles, 1972. Includes
derivation of the motorcycle equations of motion.

"Motorcycle Dynamics and Rider Control," Report SP-428, Society of
Automotive Engineers, 1978. Includes bibliography (approx. 60 entries) on
motorcycle dynamics and handling.

Mears, Barry C., "Open Loop Aspects of Two Wheeled Vehicle Stability
Characteristics," Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign, 1988.

Klein, Richard E., "Using Bicycles to Teach System Dynamics," IEEE Control
Systems Magazine, April 1989.

Glenn A. Carlson
St. Charles Community College