Re: Flat conductors (was I need help).

Late (I sent only to LK)

I just measured a 10 X 10 cm square (the Ag paint on one pair of
opposite edges) and obtained ~ 7 k ohm. Then suddenly realized that
ohms / sq. is measured in the interior of a large sheet. So used Ag
lines one cm separated by one cm in the middle of a 10 X 10 square of
the paper and got ~ 2 K ohm. A far cry from Pasco's claim. BTW I
measured using calipers (not cheapies ~ $ 100) and a 50 mill thickness
gauge, 0.14 and 0.142 mm (the thickness gauge has 10 X higher
resolution.), and, therefore, the resistivity is ~ one ohm - m not far
from yours. However, since graphite is supposed to have a resistivity
of 4 => 11 micro ohm - m, "we" have a problem. I also measure a #1
(extra soft) pencil "lead" and obtained ~72 micro ohm -m; #2 76
..... And 0.5 mm mechanical lead => ~ six micro-ohm m right in the
middle of the claimed value.

I've measured three (half) equipotentials due to a coupala dots (not
very I slipped and they are ~ 1.8 mm max. - irregular - diameter)
equispaced on the sheet separated by 8 cm. Even the innermost one is
not circular (4.5 X 6.0 mm). How do you want me to report it? A small
file size gif?

bc

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

0.32 ohm*m comes from mu own measurement of R for strip
of 10 cm between two silver dots. The strip thickness, 0.013
mm was measured with a micrometer.

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

Oh oh I must be missing something. My references give
carbon's resistivity as about 10 micro-ohm -m

My Pasco instruction sheet just gives the resistance of the
paper (5 => 20 ohm per square).

I was reading Carl's last year message and it occurred to me
that his setup has one advantage; it allows rho to be changed
gradually by several orders of magnitude (by changing the
concentration). It would be interesting to see the line pattern
from this setup for two small cylinders (or wires) immersed
in the electrolyte and separated by 10 cm, as in the geometry
chosen for Pasco paper. What would the effect of rho be?
Ludwik Kowalski