Re: Entropy and states of matter

At 11:53 PM 2/26/02, John Denker wrote:
"Malot, Woody" wrote:

> I need to find a good way to explain that entropy increase is not violated
> when a material goes from a liquid or gas (disorder) to a solid......

In particular, if the question is, does the entropy
of the H2O molecules decrease when water freezes, the
answer is yes! The entropy decreases. The entropy
of some adjacent object(s) simultaneously increases,
so the genuine law is upheld......

I read this response of John's as a model approach to difficult concepts
like thermodynamics.
There is the clear statement of the principle, the appeal to experiment,
and the almost complete absence of both
1) mathematics
2) unfamiliar words.

Thanks!