Re: Flat conductors (was I need help).

At 10:00 PM 2/26/02, you wrote:

> Where the current is planar the electric voltage distribution in
> the plane due to that current is predictable.
> But in the surrounding insulator, there is still a field
> ("field" = force available to remotely move a charged object)
>
> In this space, the field is not like the bipolar field due to two
> isolated charged spots, and not like the field due to two charged
> cylinders in 3 space. That's because in this air space, a charged
> particle would see a planar potential gradient spreading from
> one spot and converging on another which goes with a different
> 3D field distribution than any of the ones already depicted.
>
> >The only way I can rationalize this is to assume that static
> >surface charges associated with the steady state flow are
> >responsible for what really happens. How else can this be
> >explained? Static charges, by the way, were discussed here
> >recently in a thread whose name was "Chabay/Sherwood."
> >Ludwik Kowalskil
>
> Static charges associated with a charge flow seems to me to
> be an unhelpful or misleading mind picture in this case.
> You can measure point voltages, both on the paper and
> (at least conceptually) in the air to derive a picture of electric fields.

It is not immediately obvious. If static charges play a role in
circuits made from wires and compreesed resistors why would
they not play a role in flat resistors?
Ludwik Kowalski

Your question immediately reveals my apostacy. I see that the physics
approach to such questions of electric field is based on historical
precedence of the electrostatic investigations and ensuing models
of charge.

This is in contrast to the practical or engineering approach (IMO),
which relies less on charge and more on potential and current.

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!