physics/0201053

From: michael crescimanno <mcrescim@cc.ysu.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 14:58:42 GMT (183kb)

Speed of light measurement using ping

Authors: Joel Lepak, M. Crescimanno
Comments: 14 pages
Report-no: YSU-CPIP/102-02
Subj-class: Physics Education

We report on a very simple and inexpensive method for determining the
speed of an electrical wave in a transmission line. The method consists of
analyzing the roundtrip time for ethernet packets between two computers.
It involves minimal construction, straightforward mathematics and displays
the usefulness of stochastic resonance in signal recovery. Using basic
electrical properties of category-five cable students may use their
measurements to determine the speed of light in the vacuum to within a few
percent.