Re: "Layers of Scientific Understanding" poster

At 6:00 PM -0700 2/24/02, Jim Green wrote:

The poster has "philosophy" as more fundamental than physics -- I guess we
could just cut of the bottom section before it is posted.

JMGreen

Jim's "cut" made me smile. However, ...

If we "cut off the bottom," I think we would be doing our
forebears--not to mention our students--a considerable disservice.
Physics began as natural philosophy. There continues, today, within
science, a lively discussion about such philosophical subjects as
"beauty in physical theories," "consensus within the scientific
community," and even "realism and ultimate reality."

Consider, also, philosopher David Hume's assertion that we have no
good reason--and certainly no scientific reason--to believe that the
laws of physics will be true tomorrow. To say that "the laws have
been true for every preceding 'tomorrow'" begs the question. Why
should the future resemble the past, asked Hume? (Even the assertion
that relativity describes a deterministic universe in which all
worldlines exist fully-formed begs the question, I think.)

Scientists make certain fundamental philosophical assumptions about
reality and about knowledge. Perhaps we should admit such things up
front. Perhaps we can even learn to enjoy that admission.

- Tucker
--
Tucker Hiatt, Director

Truth is a great flirt. - Franz Liszt