Re: I need help.

Something I think related and explained by the below.

One of my references pointed out that the resistance between two embedded
electrode spheres in the earth (rather more closely infinite embedding
medium) was ~ independent of their separation > a certain minimum
separation. --IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY.

bc

Roger Haar wrote:

Hi,
What I think is wrong with your claim is your
assumption that between two points, the resistance
and the current paths have the same sensitivity.
The current path is the analog to field lines and
is related to the equipotentials.

Consider the case where the two terminals are on
a horizontal line. and consider a current path
that starts out from the right terminal headed
almost to the right.

In the infinite case, this path is extremely long
and has a very high resistance and has little
effect on the total resistance.

In the finite case, this path is "distorted" and
shorter, but the current path is effectively
squeezed together with other paths. The effect of
the squeeze is that each current path has less
width and thus a higher resistance. The combined
effect is that this current path has only a small
effect on the total resistance.

Thus the current paths and the associated
equipotentials can be very different between the
finite and the infinite, but the resistances can
be almost the same.

***********
Am I correct in understanding that in you
measurement of resistance as you cutdown the sheet
that the rings were 2.5 cm apart at the closest
point. The near points dominate the resistance.
Look how much of the rings is within 5 cm of each
other. One would be tempted to consider this a
distorted parallel plate capacitor The 2.5 cm
separation is much smaller than the paper. If I
draw this and add a few current paths, and then
start "cutting down" the sheet, there are not that
many paths that get cut.

***********
I am confused by your term "surface charges." In
the resistor-paper analog to electrostatics,
charges become current sources or sinks. Are you
saying that along a given ring, the voltage is
not functionally constant, i.e. the resistance of
the silver paint is noticeable relative that of
the paper?

Thanks
Roger Haar

kowalskil wrote:

But what is wrong with my claim that the finite size of the sheet
has a negligible effect for the geometry chosen? Is it not true that
rho calculated from your formula, David, and rho calculated from
the narrow strip would be different if a sizable fraction of the total
flux was prevented from going through regions outside the paper?
The two values of rho turned out to be practically identical. How
can you ignore this argument?

I will ask students to locate the experimental curves for a geometry
in which circles are closer than 10 cm. If the discrepancy between
what is observed and what is predicted is reduced then I will also
start blaming the paper size effect. We will see. For the time being
I will blame surface charges. I know that such blaming has no value
unless some theoretical or experimental evidence is produced. I think
I do have some evidence against the paper size effect. Where am I
wrong with it?