Re: Calculating resistance

I've been discussing w/ LK for almost a week about the theoretically and xptly
dtmnd resistance between conductors imbedded in a poorly conducting plane. I
still have a problem with correctness of the assumption that a conductive slice
is the same as either a guarded bi (di) semi infinite cylinder capacitor or
co-planar disks. However, evidently, the two methods agree, vide below.

Harnwell (Principles of E & EM 1949) argues [as does Eisberg & Lerner PHYSICS
(1981) problem 22-33] that the relationship between the capacitance of a pair of
conductors and the resistance between them when imbedded in an infinite less
conductive medium. is: R = kappa sub zero / (conductivity * the capacitance).
[eq. one]

L. measured the thickness of an aquadag plane and it's conductivity (or claimed
by the mfgr.?) and found the resistance of silver-dag dots. The formula given by
Harnwell (and DB, by another method) for the capacitance of a pair of parallel
infinite cylinders separation c and radii a is:

C / l = Pi * kappa sub zero * cosh (c / 2a) (cosh reduces to ln (c / a) when a
<< c. (n.b. this is the capacitance per unit ength)

substituting above in eq. one. R = kappa * ln (c / 2a) / [sigma * l * Pi *
kappa]

L's values: l = 0.013 mm; rho (= 1/ sigma) = 0.32 ohm m (or 3.125 mho / m); a
= 0.5 cm; c = 20 cm

R = ln (20 / 0.5) / [ 3.125 * 0.013E-3 * Pi ] = ~ 29 k ohm, which, I assume,
agrees with L's measurement with the Pasco apparatus.

bc

P.s. The argument: the current that flows from an embedded electrode is =
surface integral of the current density "dot" area ds = surface enclosing the
electrode (except the ignorable current supply wire) integral E dot ds. which
(the integral) is, recognizably, the charge enclosed (Gauss' law). Considering
the two integrals as identical, then i = sigma * q / kappa,

Taking the electrodes as a capacitor with capacitance C = q / V , then i =
[sigma / kappa] * C * V ,

as R = V = i ... "QED"

P.p.s As DB insisted, Harnwell does indeed use conformal mapping to solve
Laplace's eg. Rereading Churchill's Intro. to Complex Variables, 1948 (first
time > 40 years ago!) convinced me.

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

I think this is worth sharing with the list. Give the reference
but do not assume people have access to this book. I suggest
you write the formula and describe how you used it to get
the R of the infinite size sheet of a conductive film of known
thickness. Show numerical calculation for Pasco sheets.
Outlining the derivation is likely to be appreciated by many,
provided it is explained in simple terms.
Ludwik.

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

Damn! I threw out that scrap of paper and must begin again.

I claimed ~ 0.1 ohm you got 0.06 . My calc. remembers entries, so I pushed
the key a jillion times and found more exactly your number 0.0587.....

with conductivity 1/ 0.32 instead of 1 E+5 mho/m and thickness 0.013
instead of 0.2 mm (your revised thickness is because you scraped off the
aquadag and found the diff. between both and the paper only?)

28.9 k ohm

bc

P.s. It's Ln (separation / radius)

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

You are probably referring to what is on page 42. Note that
in my case a=b (figure 1.29). If I use your formula then
R=0 because ln(b/a)=ln(1)=0. You probably made a typing
error, or something of that kind. My sigma was 1/0.32
and the sheet thickness was 0.013 mm. (What R do you
get after correcting the mistake?)
Ludwik

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

Correct. However, the method is applicable to 2-D.

Find the capacitance per unit length of two cylinders (parallel of
separation l) replace kappa sub zero with the conductivity / unit area
and invert.

e.g. resistance between two coaxial cylinders: C = (2 Pi kappa * l) /
[ ln (b/a)]; R = ln (b/a) / (2 Pi * sigma * l)
where sigma is the volume conductivity

I have all ready to mail. I think you'll appreciate it any way.

bc

P.s. there's another method: a square mesh of resistors with the
number of resistors increased => in the limit to area conductivity.

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Hi again, Bernard:
It occurred to me that perhaps the R formula on page 102 refers
to a 3-dimentional system (current flowing between two spheres
and not between two flat electrodes in a conducting sheet). This
would explain why R is nearly 200 smaller than what was
calculated with Bowman's formula. Verify this before sending
me anything. I am interested in 2-dim only, as you know.
Ludwik