Re: Conceptual Tests

In his Phys-L post of 18 Feb 2002 19:16:24-0600, titled "Re:
Conceptual Tests," John Clement wrote (slightly edited):

"His. . .(Hake's). . . papers are available at
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake/> and the one I think you. .
(Tina Fanetti). . . want is at
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi/ajpv3i.pdf> the results of the
6000 student survey. THIS SURVEY HAS BEEN CRITICIZED . . .(in). . .
THAT IT RELIED ON VOLUNTARY SUBMISSION OF TEST SCORES. Another of
his papers implies that average HS gain figures may be much lower
than the scores reported to him."

Several corrections and comments:

1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
1. The relevant references are NOT at
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake/> The correct references are
Hake (1998a,b) at the location indicated in the "REFERENCE" list
below. The latter paper (Hake 1998b) also gives case histories for
the seven Interactive Engagement (IE) courses whose effectiveness, as
gauged by pre- to posttest gains, was close to those of traditional
courses, advice for implementing IE methods, and suggestions for
further research. Various criticisms of the survey and of physics
education research generally are countered in Hake (1998c). For a
summary and update of the survey see Hake (2002a). For a recent
treatment of assessment issues see Hake (2002b).

2222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222
2. John writes "THIS SURVEY . . .(Hake 1998a). . . HAS BEEN
CRITICIZED . . . (in). . . THAT IT RELIED ON VOLUNTARY SUBMISSION OF
TEST SCORES." With friends like John, who needs enemies? It's true
that such criticism has been made, but as John should know, the
criticism is totally unjustified and has only come from those who
have evidently NOT carefully read Hake (1998a). For example, see my
response to economist Bill Becker's (2001) criticism #3b in the
section "Criticisms of the Survey" at Hake (2002a):