Re: Conceptual Tests

JR's point: it aint different e.g. GK's elementary school district is
overwhelmingly Hispanic speaking. Yet by the time they arrive at Alisal HS,
they are fluent. (tho, some with an accent). I know; I've substitute taught
Physics there.

bc

"RAUBER, JOEL" wrote:

<snip>

Every one in the past who immigrated here
and wanted to
fully participate in the political, economic, and social life
of the country
ended up learning and using English, why should it be different now?

While I actually agree with much of what Rick wrote, the above should be
corrected.

There are numerous examples of public schools taught in other languages
during previous immigration waves to the US. In the 1880's and 1890's in
Ohio there were schools where the language of instruction was German and
this wasn't unique to Ohio as far as I know. (I didn't verify the dates
above.) I have little doubt that those in the current immigration waves
will end up learning and using English if they wish to participate in the
social , political, economic, etc life of the nation; just as in the past.

Joel Rauber