foreign Students

I have no trouble with not using slang when teaching.
I have no trouble letting a student using a dictionary or translator on a test.
The problem I have is how can it be said that a test is invalid for a given population for students based on whether or not a student is a native speaker or not.

Now, I have mostly Vietnamese students. (Sioux City has a large Vietnamese and Hispanic population)
2 of these students are finishing their requirements for citizenship.

Is it too much to expect that American citizens be able to speak and read English?

They don't complain about the textbook being in English

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429