Re: Conceptual tests

But the criticism is that they can't read the question very well. Which I have discovered that sometimes is the case because they have managed to evade the college's ESL classes. So I can't imagine they would be too successful in physics anyway given all the word problems.

Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429

Savinainen Antti <antti.savinainen@KUOPIO.FI> 02/19/02 01:01AM >>>
Hello Tina,

SO the question is Has there been any research into how non-native s=
peakers of
english do on these >conceptual evaluation.

I am doing research using conceptual evaluation instruments for non-n=
ative
speakers of English (well, I am also a non-native speaker :-)). My
International Baccalaureate (IB) students have almost never complaine=
d about
the language; it is the physics which may be hard. Having said that I=
have to
add that IB students are usually quite talented and willing to do wor=
k. But the
bottom line is that being a non-native does not necessarily imply tha=
t one
should not use conceptual evaluation.

Your boss was worried if the tests are fair for non-native students. =
One could
argue that if results are used for diagnostic purposes rather than as=
a part of
the grading process there should not be such a worry. Surely a teache=
r is
entitled to find out if students have understood concepts or not.

Regards,

Antti Savinainen
Kuopion Lyseo High School/IB
Finland