Re: Series, Parallel, and Resistivity Equations

You can play the same game with the parallel plates capacitor
formula:
C=eps_o*A/d

Substitute A1+A2 for A (cutting charged plates) and you
have C=C1+C2 (two capacitors in parallel)

Substitute d1+d2 for d (inserting a neutral plate between the
two charged plates) and you have 1/C=1/C1+1/C2 (in seies).
Ludwik Kowalski

Tim Folkerts wrote:

I don't know why it had never occurred to me before, but the equations for
the series an parallel resistors are contained within the equation for
resistivity. The texts I just checked all do the traditional derivation
using either equal currents or equal voltage differences, but none seem to
appeal to this simple argument.

Consider a resistor of uniform composition and diameter, with length L.
Cut it into two pieces of length L1+L2=L, which will have resistances of
R1 = (rho/A)L1 and R2 = (rho/A)L2.
So R1+R2 = (rho/A)(L1+L2) = (rho/A)L = R

Consider a resistor of uniform composition and diameter, with length L.
Slice it lengthwise into two pieces of area A1+A2=A, which will have
resistances of R1 = (rhoL)/A1 and R2 = (rhoL)/A2.
So 1/R1 +1/R2 = A1 /(rhoL) + A2 / (rhoL) = (A1+A2) / (rhoL) = 1/R

But the circuit doesn't care about the geometry of individual resistors, so
any other resistors with R1 & R2 would behave the same.

Surely this isn't a new idea, and it's not surprising, but it was new to
me. Does this seem like a reasonable way to introduce series & parallel
resistance? Or perhaps just use it as a way to reinforce the traditional
derivation?

Tim Folkerts