Improving textbooks - some modest proposals

There will be a crackerbarrel at the AAPT Summer Meeting in Boise about
this issue. Science textbook editors and members of the Hubiscz committee
will be invited. While AAPT may present a 'narrow' approach to the
problem, at least it will be a starting point (I believe ACS has already
taken steps to address this issue???).

Complaints about textbooks are presented on a regular basis. Why not
bring the interested parties together, let them present their viewpoints
and see what compromises that meet the goals of all can be reached ?

As you are aware, there are many things to be addressed:
a. a consistent means of evaluating textbooks and presenting the results.
b. ensuring the publisher receives copies of evaluations, perhaps through
a liaison with the reviewer to ensure issues are addressed.
c. to the extent possible, establishing consistency on the part of the
physics community regarding terminology, definitions, etc.
d. incorporating PER findings.
e. making state education agencies a part of the process so they have a
vested interest in using the best textbooks.
f. others mentioned in the course of this discussion on the list (and
probably some not yet raised).

Given the wide range and scope of topics and the limited time available,
we may not be able to address many in detail but we should be able set
specific goals and outline further work. I make no claims to being the
best person for this job; I would hope that from those in attendance or
otherwise expressing an interest that we could assemble a group to address
this issue. We need to DO something about this ongoing problem.

If you will be attending the meeting, please make it a point to attend the
crackerbarrel. I have not yet received notification of a scheduled time.
I will post it upon receipt. For AAPT members, it should be in the Spring
(?) Announcer. I hope to see you there.

Greg

Gregory Puskar gpuskar@wvu.edu
Academic Laboratory Manager (304)293-3422 x 1455
Physics Department (304)293-5732 (fax)
West Virginia University
PO Box 6315
Morgantown, WV 26506