Re: Surface Charges and Feedback in Simple Circuits

Capacitors are now used instead of batts. in some computers, and remember in
the long run not only will all the batteries be dead.

bc

"John S. Denker" wrote:

Bob Sciamanda wrote:

I think his algorithm, in effect, treats the capacitor as if it were a
battery. His imposition of J=sigma*E inside the conductors ( and I suppose
inside the capacitor) forces a current flow.

OK. Then it's not as crazy as I thought.
Just poorly expressed.
After all, a battery can be thought of as a
reeeeally high-capacitance capacitor.
This must be a severely overdamped RLC circuit.

What Preyer calls "steady state" should be reworded
as an _intermediate_ timescale (tau). Some things have
happened on a time scale much shorter than tau, such as
relaxation of the current pattern, radiation, inductive
effects, et cetera. But RC relaxation (i.e. discharge of
the battery) happens on a timescale much longer than tau.

And then I'm not sure that this scenario should be
called "the simplest circuit". This is several steps
removed from utmost simplicity, IMHO.