Re: The source of our problems

I think the initiative in Washington is a great idea. The high stakes
testing is based on the assembly line worker model of education. If you
don't get enough product run the line faster and threaten the workers with
dismissal if they make mistakes. The idea that what is being tested may be
irrelevant to performance in today's society is not being considered.
Perhaps when politicians are forced to do some of the same things they
require others to do, they will have a more realistic attitude towards
education.

Similarly I think software designers and salespople should be condemned to
actually use their products.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Finally, there is an initiative in Washington State to require anyone
running for public office to take the WASL test given to all 10th
graders now.

courtesy of UnderNews

bc