Re: Writing a Physics Lab

I would recommend measuring the resistance with an ohm-meter.

You can have the students also measure the diameter of the wires. From
knowing the length=L, diameter, and resistivity=rho, you can calculate the
resistance

R = rho*L/area

They can compare the measured value with the calculated value.

Students can look at the effect of using different materials, different
lengths, and different wire diameters.

Regards,
Steven Ratliff

Now my question is this..
1. How do I write a lab activity to have students experimentally >show
what R is? I was thinking of just having them use Ohm's law >and send a
fixed potential difference through the wire. THen they >could just
measure the current using a multimeter. (not quite sure >where to measure
current but I think I can figure that out)

Steven T. Ratliff
Professor of Physics
Northwestern College
3003 Snelling Ave. N.