Re: Batteries

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

**** Start with a chunk of nickel. Make sure it is electrically
neutral; if in doubt you can just count positive and negative
charges and make sure they come out even.

1) It is easy for you to say this, teacher. How do we
count charges?

Answer #1: With tweezers and a microscope. It will take
you about 10^16 years.

Answer #2: It's a joke.
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=joke

When somebody suggests a totally preposterous experimental
technique, you should consider two hypotheses:
a) He's an idiot.
b) Maybe this is a Gedankenexperiment. Maybe it
doesn't matter _how_ we ensure neutrality, as
long as it is possible in principle to do so.

**** Now take a second chunk of nickel. It also starts out
electrically neutral. Now imagine that using some powerful
neutrino-ray or something, we cause an inverse-beta (electron
capture) reaction that turns the nickel nuclei into iron nuclei.
The crystal structure re-arranges itself accordingly. The chunk
of iron remains, by construction, electrically neutral.

2) I have no idea what the "inverse-beta, electron
capture" is, teacher. How can I imagine a "neutrino-ray"
without knowing what it is? As far as I know, a piece of
metal is not a crystal, like salt or calcite.

#3) As for powerful neutrino rays, see answer to previous
question. (Answer #2 above.)

To prevent confusion among humor-impaired students, I have
removed the "counting" and "neutrino-ray" references, and
substituted an explicit mention of Gedankenexperiment.

#4) All metals are crystalline. You can see the crystal structure
by cleaving the metal, etching it a bit to increase contrast,
and looking at it. If it's microscrystalline you might need
a microscope, but not even a very powerful one.

For that matter, practically all solids are crystalline.
Sometimes microcrystalline. Amorphous solids (e.g. glass)
exist but are really quite atypical.

**** As we shall see, these two electrically-neutral pieces of
metal attract electrons differently. They have different work
functions.

3) What is the work function, teacher?

It's the topic of discussion.

**** The work functions are different because of things
like the Pauli exclusion principle.

4) Who was Pauli

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=pauli

and what principle are you talking about?

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=exclusion+principle

**** You have a different number of fermions in a
different-sized box, so the Fermi level will be different.

5) What are fermions teacher? And what are Fermi levels?
Why are you throwing at me words with which I am not
familiar? I did not skip classes and I read every assigned
textbook chapter. Nowhere did I see words you are using.

We have discussed this before, on the list. I have incorporated
this into a new section of the web document:
http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/physics/battery.htm#sec-ball-and-stick

**** The fact that different materials have different work
functions is perfectly understandable also. Different
materials have a different spacing between nuclei.

6) I did not know this, teacher.

Any decent periodic table will give something like
"lattice spacing" or "molar volume". See e.g.
http://www.webelements.com/webelements/elements/text/Ni/phys.html

**** So think of it as a particle-in-a-box problem: The smaller
the box, the higher the kinetic energy the electrons must have.

7) What kind of a box are you referring to? And why should
the size of a box have an effect on the kinetic energies of
electrons. I have no idea what the Heizenberg?s uncertainty
principles are, in case that is what you expect me to know.

**** You can even make a connection between the work
function (a purely electrical property) and the elastic properties
of the metal: when you squeeze the chunk of metal you squeeze
the electron wavefunctions, and that raises their kinetic energy.

8) What is a wavefunction, teacher? How can a change in the
0.5*m*v^2 result from squeezing a function?

You wanted a microscopic explanation of what goes
on in a battery. Why are you surprised that it
involves chemistry and atomic physics?

If you're allergic to bread, and allergic to tomatoes,
and allergic to cheese, don't order a pizza.

1) But do you agree that the existing sequence of topics,
in a typical introductory physics course, is not consistent
with your explanations?

Sequencing! Ha!

I view knowledge in general, and science in particular,
and even physics more particularly, as a grand tangle
of interrelated ideas. The cross-connections are very
high-dimensional. There is a theorem that says you
cannot map things from one dimensionality to another
in a way that is one-to-one and continuous.

I consider it provably impossible to teach physics or
anything else worth knowing in a logical _sequential_
way.

2) Do you agree that EXPLAINING things to students
today we must not lean on what some of them may later
learn in more advanced courses?

Everybody has to lean on SOMETHING.

The alternative is to
describe experimental facts and relations and to say
that "they can be explained" in advanced courses.

The possibilities are:

-- Do the experiments yourself.
-- Do the calculations yourself.
-- Take my word for it if I tell you I've done the
calculations and/or experiments.
-- Read the literature and see if there is a consensus
among a number of people who have done the calculations
and/or experiments.

If the student can't or won't do any of the above, I
don't know how to proceed. I don't even know how to
get started.