Re: water molecule

Regarding Justin's modified request:

I suppose that one scheme that could be implemented is to imagine
that all the charge is concentrated on the locations of the mean
centers of the nuclei, and then assign whatever charge to each
nucleus is necessary to give the correct dipole moment for the
whole molecule. Is this what Justin want's to know?

Essentially. ...

In that case the CRC handbook (20 year old edition) says that for
gas phase water the O-H bond length is 0.9584 angstrom (last digit
doubtful), the H-O-H bond angle is 104.45 deg and the electric dipole
moment is 1.85 debeyes. (BTW, a debeye is 10^(-18) statcoulomb cm).

My calculation of the needed charge on the nuclei to give the correct
dipole moment is -0.656 elementary charge on the oxygen and +0.328
elementary charge on each hydrogen.

David Bowman
David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu