Re: Flat Earth

tho. we may blame Aristotle for many mechanics misconceptions, we was one
smart cookie (or publicized smart ones).

Argument for sphericity:
http://www-astronomy.mps.ohio-state.edu/~pradhan/a161.html

bc

David Bowman wrote:

Regarding Hugh's date for Eratosthenes:

... After all Eratosthenes first
measure the earth's circumference in about 350 B.C.E.

As I think Eratosthenes first calculated the Earth's circumference
in about 200 BCE. Note, he lived from about 276 to 194 BCE. It is
true that the Greeks had figured out that the Earth was spherical
well before this time, and even Aristotle (384-322 BCE) had argued
that the Earth was spherical.

It seems the ancient Hebrews had a flat earth cosmology since there are
a couple of references in the Old Testament that suggest such a setup.

David Bowman
David_Bowman@georgetowncollege.edu