Re: Teaching by Inquiry

Tina,
I would highly recommend the PRISMS program at UNI (University of
Northern Iowa) or the C3P program (University of Dallas) or the Modeling
Workshop in Arizona. I participated in the PRISMS project starting about
12 years ago and it revolutionized the way I teach. It is an adjustment
for students but I have had outstanding success. I attended a C3P
workshop about 4 years ago to find a little update and much reinforcement
of the same approach. While there I was introduced to the Modeling
program which looks to be very similar with maybe some refinements and
increased details.

Tina Fanetti wrote:

Hi again

The current theme in education and on this list is to teach by inquir=
y.
I'm having a couple problems.
1. I was never taught by inquiry so this is a big adjustment.
2. I am not sure what I am doing.
3. The students hate it. They would rather do traditional problems =
than inquiry.

If anyone has any references on some good background for teaching phy=
sics by inquiry I would be most greatful.

I have been using Peer Instruction and the McDermott Tutorials but I =
have the feeling I am not doing something right

Clear Skies
Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429

--