Re: Supporting vs stifling curiosity

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael N. Monce" <mnmon@CONNCOLL.EDU>
Ed has made some excellent points regarding demands on teachers in the
K-12 regime. I would just answer his question in the same vein for
university and college faculty: We don't do this sort of mentoring because
our "system" says we get rewarded for publication of research. In most
cases,"research" is defined by "real science", not by education research
by many administrations, tenure and promotion committees, etc. There is
little reward incentive for mentoring kids in the local schools, so most
faculty find such activity counter-productive to their careers.

Maybe I'm wrong and my school is the exception, but don't most schools have
a 'Community Service' component to faculty evaluation. It might not be of
_major_ importance in determining rank and tenure, but it is not (or should
not be) of zero importance. Mentoring kids in local schools fits right into
that slot!

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE
PC and MAC software
NEW! SIMLAB2001--DYNAMIC CARTS now available.
CD-ROMs now available