Re: Supporting vs stifling curiosity

While NONE of us (well, maybe not ALL of us) think that the abuse was
not necessary, I also think that YOUR eventual finding of 'the'
answer was important to your education and philosophy thereof.

Abuse indicates that the 'instructor' is overly defensive re his ignorance.

At 7:48 AM -0500 on 2/10/02, Cooper John N wrote

All thanks to Brian Whatcott for a civil and productive response to a
reasonable, if 'poorly posed', query.
Decades ago when I was an undergrad at a 'small trade school in
Pasadena', the grad student (yes!) who taught frosh physics became
infuriated when I asked, in questioning equal and opposite reaction, how
the floor 'knew' just how much force to exert on my foot such that I
neither sank into said floor nor flew up from it. He could not answer the
question and abused me for asking it.
It was years later, in thinking about the stretching mode of vibrations
in chemical bonds and arrays of bedsprings that I came on a mental picture
that would then have rewarded my freshman curiosity and encouraged my
further, more thoughtful analysis.
Well done, Brian.

--