Re: definition of weight (again)

Chuck Britton wrote:
the 'g' that people really
experience and geologists really measure.
It includes the rotational effects of the planet in addition to the
masses involved.

I completely agree.

==============

More generally, there are several properties we would
like "the" definition of gravity to have, to the
extent possible:
-- be simple
-- agree with common usage in ordinary cases
-- agree with common usage in extreme cases
(such as weightless astronauts)
-- agree with modern physics (general relativity)
-- directly connect Newton's law of universal
gravitation with the gravity we observe in the lab.

Well, you can have it all _except_ the last one. If
you insist on g = G M / R^2 then you have to sacrifice
several of the other items on the list. So don't do that.

Details can be found at
http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/physics/weight.htm