Re: definition of weight (again)

Then I'm in the same minority because that's the way I have used in Calc Physics classes for years. I do point out that it is the same definition on other bodies, just replace Earth with ___ .
James Mackey

Joe Heafner wrote:

From: Larry Smith <larry.smith@SNOW.EDU>

This debate seems to resurface every year (or is it every semester?), but
it would be nice if we could all agree on the definition of weight.

Weight is *the force on a body due to Earth's gravitational interaction with that body*. Period. Yes, I'm aware of other definitions that include *apparent weight* but this is more trouble than it's worth IMHO. I completely ban the use of the term *weightless* in my classes because it's not logically consistent with the above definition. What most authors call *weightless* is really more accurately *contact-forceless* (i.e. the absence of a contact force whose magnitude may or may not be equal to GMm/d^2).

Sadly, I don't think there is any closure to be had here. I'm probably in the minority though. Chabay and Sherwood use the same definition that I use.

Cheers,
Joe

Due to my excessive teaching load, I cannot reply to email during the business day.

CVAC Home Page <http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/cvac.html>
My Book <http://www.willbell.com/new/fundephcomp.htm>
My Home Page <http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/>
Please -- no Microsoft attachments. They're a security risk.