Re: energy in the tank

From: "Larry Smith"

At 5:07 PM -0600 2/6/02, Cliff Parker wrote:
There is no such
"thing" as energy. "Energy" is a mathematical invention.

I agree that I can't go to the store and buy a box of energy

What is it you buy from your power/energy company?

I buy Power/energy but it isn't in a box. I asked my students the other day
a similar question. What are you buying when you go to the gas station? Of
course they all said gasoline. I chalanged them to think about this again
asking... Do you really want gasoline, after all it is really not a very
plesent thing to be in contact with, or are you buying the ability to move
you and your car from where you are to where you want to be. Are you buying
gasoline or stored energy?

Cliff Parker