Re: energy in the tank

I could easily choose an energy reference 100 eV
lower than yours, and say that the bond stores +95.5 eV,
on a scale where the isolated neutral atoms stored
+100 eV. Everything is relative.

Not everything is relative. There is no sense in which
the bond stores +95.5 eV. You might say that the total
energy of the bonded molecule (relative to your chosen
zero point) is +95.5 eV, but that does not mean that the
bond stores +95.5 eV.

You could say that the _bonding_process_ (not the bond
itself) is exothermic to the tune of 4.5 eV and I wouldn't
have a problem with that.

That's just a jargonny way of saying that the bond stores
-4.5 eV.

Obviously we're arguing about semantics so I think I'll
stop now.

Dan