Re: Teaching in America

If it interests you do, what I did (in reverse). Get a student visa (grad
student) and be a TA (demonstrator). Since many schools (at least UCSB did)
require TA'ing as part of one's education obtaining a work permit should be
easy. Practically speaking, most research is grant supported, so if one is
accepted, the work permit, I'd think, is automatic. If in a master's
program, on the side take the courses necessary for a teaching credential
(general secondary? for HS). If you want to teach at the CC level (Community
College -- somewhat like a college of further ed.), then all one must do is
obtain an MA in the subject area(s).

I did the reverse which was much easier because of the brain drain in the
sixties and England (then) welcomed aliens. I don't even remember getting a
visa, Keele must have done it for me and a five minute visit with some honcho
at the local labor exchange got me the permit to demonstrate. My wife even
taught music at a nearby infant school (used Beetles songs as examples) on
the basis of her BA in music ( and a grad year at Berkeley). There was a
problem when the recession came, she was threatened with redundancy. I was
invited (to talk about drugs in California) to a colloquium filmed by the BBC
about the grooming of a local young politician. In the presentation by the
Stoke MP, he said the govt. (Wilson) was not going to reduce the ed. budget.
I corrected him. She continued teaching! After I finished my research I was
offered a job (I don't remember searching) by the CEGB. (before your time and
privatization? -- central electricity generating board)

bc

P.s. There is a teacher shortage even here in melanoma ridden California.

Alex Brown wrote:

Hello I'm a physics grad and am wandering how I go about moving to America
(from sunny England) and teaching. Are there any professional bodies I
should get in touch with. Is a physics degree OK to start teaching? Any
help or suggesting would be greatfully appreciated.
Yours Sincerely
Alex