Re: Teaching in America

At 05:01 AM 2/7/02, you wrote:
Hello I'm a physics grad and am wandering how I go about moving to America
(from sunny England) and teaching. Are there any professional bodies I
should get in touch with. Is a physics degree OK to start teaching? Any
help or suggesting would be greatfully appreciated.
Yours Sincerely
Alex

There are three broad approaches to moving to America.
1) Swim the Rio Grande or its moral equivalents. (Some Mexican immigrants
perform agricultural labor, which is increasingly unattractive to the
native born)
2) Sign up for the US annual allotment of immigrants. ( But it may come as
a surprise that there is a lively underswell of tribal antipathy for the
folks who brought us the 'rocket's bright flare' as well as a fellow
feeling for those of us who attempted to pacify us by those of us who took
up arms against a half mad King fighting a more important European war.)
3) Take a job in a rare job category. The business route is the Royal Road
to US immigration. The country is sympathetic to the business interest.
Indeed, some governments are stacked with big business appointees, like the
present one.

You should carefully consider the lack of health insurance for a sizeable
proportion of the population, and the native propensity for chiding the
poor, sick and starving for their inability to be be productively
working. The insane do walk the streets.
People do starve to death. People die of curable illnesses.

I see that people who can transfer small business skills - like
electricians and plumbers - often do amazingly well. That said - money or
unusual talent is very helpful to moving over. Americans know the cost of
everything!

I hope you found this helpful.

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!