Re: Confused by a derivation.

Oops, I had the arrows drawn the wrong way for configuration 1 in the
region below the capacitor. The corrected diagram is below. Typo when
I copied and pasted to make this diagram. But all of my statements in
my posting are still correct. In particular, Gauss' law has no
problem with the following configuration, even though we know it
doesn't occur in actuality.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
| | | | | | | | | |
+ + + + + + + + + +
====================
+ + + + + + + + + +
v v v v v v v v v v

--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst. Prof. of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
U.S. Naval Academy, Stop 9C, Annapolis, MD 21402-5026