Re: energy change

> In a collision, the ball transfers energy into the wall on the
> "way in" and recovers it (all of it if perfectly elastic) on
> the "way out".

If you enter a mall holding a hundred dollar bill in your hand,
stick it in your pocket for security while window shopping, and
then remove it again when you leave, would you say that you had
transferred money to and from the mall?

I say again: "energy" of a system can be increased or decreased by doing
work, but it is not a substance which can be "transferred". John is quite
helpful here but he still seems to picture energy as a substance -- in this
case a dollar bill. One uses this picture at his own peril. And the
discussion becomes foggy as has been demonstrated again in this thread.

The language of physics should retain precision -- so as not to muddy
the water -- I mean fog the air.

One might say -- with somewhat less peril -- that a deposit can be made at
one's local bank and dollars withdrawn from a distant bank. No paper
dollars move. Not perfect, but I think a bit better.

I will now return to my little corner of the galaxy.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen