Re: Car acceleration

At 10:20 PM 2/5/02, Bob Carlson wrote:

> > This is confusing to me and I suspect confusing to students. Why not
> > identify the force that is really doing work and go from there?
>
> In this particular case I wouldn't do that because (ignoring air
> resistance and rolling resistance) there *is* no force that is
> doing "real work" on the car.

Then you would say there is no real work being done? And no real change in
kinetic energy? I would say there is a real force doing work and this comes
from the drive axle applying a normal force on the car.

Bob Carlson

True believers avoid facing this particular fact by noting it is inside the
car, and the force exerted on the axle bearings which provides the car with
a way to accelerate also motivates the motion of the wheels and axles - so
that although corresponding with reality, it is not 'clean' and requires
insight into the mechanism in an 'unphysics' way.

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!