Re: energy in the tank

The energy released in the bond formation process is
indeed stored in the system of all the dissociated
molecules. While it's true that you make this all "go
away" by the choice of a "suitable" zero. But is the
introduction of negative energy necessary or desirable
in a first year (HS or college) course? I think not.
John Barrere
--- Cliff Parker <cparker@CHARTER.NET> wrote:
The reason a
chemical bond is stable is that the system reaches
lower energy state as the bond forms.

I agree.

Energy must be added to break this chemical bond.

I agree.

The common practice in biology of referring to the
"high energy ATP bond"
is probably a major contributor to this
misconception.

It has been so since I studied any such thing that I
assure you that Biology
teachers have no responsibility in my understanding
of energy.

I am willing to modify my views on energy if
necessary but what have you
said here that supports the statement that
"...chemical bonds do NOT store
energy"? Are you saying that the energy is stored
in the "system" rather
than in the bonds? If so I am not sure I see the
distinction. Something
was at a higher energy level before the gasoline was
burned. After the gas
was burned something was at a lower energy level and
energy was released.
Where was that energy "stored" before it was
released?