Re: Car acceleration

In a message dated 2/5/2002 9:39:58 PM Central Standard Time, ajmallinckro@CSUPOMONA.EDU writes:

> This is confusing to me and I suspect confusing to students.  Why not
> identify the force that is really doing work and go from there?

In this particular case I wouldn't do that because (ignoring air
resistance and rolling resistance) there *is* no force that is
doing "real work" on the car.

Then you would say there is no real work being done?   And no real change in kinetic energy?  I would say there is a real force doing work and this comes from the drive axle applying a normal force on the car.

Bob Carlson