From: "John Mallinckrodt" <ajmallinckro@CSUPOMONA.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 9:11 PM
Subject: Re: Confused by a derivation.

One more thing. The problem is surely *much* easier than any of
us have made out if we are willing to specify that there are no
other charges in the universe. In that case there simply can't be
any field outside the capacitor since there is no place for the
field lines to end. Since there is no place for them to end, they
can't start. Hence, no charge is allowed on the outer surfaces.